The Boys & Girls Clubs of San Leandro provides safe, high quality after school programs where Club members have the opportunity to learn, grow, give back to the community, discover their passions, set goals, meet new friends and have FUN! Our clubs build character through everyday leadership and guidance. We help young people succeed in school, stay healthy, learn important life skills, pursue interests in the arts, sciences and sports. Most importantly, The Boys & Girls Clubs of San Leandro helps young people realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens.
We offer a wide variety of programs including tutoring, homework help, enrichment activities, sports and recreation, and specialized programs that are linked to the Common Core Standards.
The summer program is completely separate from the school year program. All children wishing to participate in the summer program must register (even if they are school year members). Click here for details on the summer program.
- Homework Help: All of our sites provide an opportunity for our members to begin their homework. Homework, in most cases, is done at the end of the day.
- Small Group Tutoring: We provide individualized tutoring for youth, grades 3-5, who have been identified for additional help by teachers, principals, and our staff. These students receive specific intervention based on their needs in reading and math. These skills help our members in the classroom and with their daily homework.
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math): Our staff uses state approved curriculum, including "Kid2 Science", which includes an experiment in a box, as well as learning about colors, space, and environment to name a few. Students work with a variety of websites and programs, including: Khan Academy, National Geographic, Star Fall, PBS Kids, Dictionary.com, Exploratorium.edu, Fun Brain, and Math.com.
|GOOD CHARACTER AND CITIZENSHIP
Service Learning Projects: Many of our sites are doing fundraising for a variety of causes, such as: local hunger, homelessness, disaster relief efforts, and animals.
Practice Positive Discipline Approach: Help children develop self-discipline, responsibility, cooperation and problem-solving skills.
Implement Tribes Learning Communities: Blends group process and cooperative learning, prevention and resiliency.
- Leadership and Character Building: We strive to empower our members to become global citizens who support and influence their club and community, sustain meaningful relationships with others, develop a positive self-image and good character and respect their own and others' cultural identities.
- Cooking, Gardening and Nutrition Education for our members and their families: We strive to provide all of our youth at each site cooking and gardening experiences. Our staff is working with school personnel to strengthen or start gardens at every elementary school. Students participate in composting, planting and watering in these four season gardens. Due to our current draught, gardening is temporarily limited.
- Daily Recreation Programs and Circuits
- Skill Building Sports Programs with Culminating Tournaments
|SPECIALIZED PROGRAMS (Vary from site to site)
- Anti-drug and Gang Education (OJP): We provide awareness and education for elementary and middle school students. Information shared with the youth is provided by trained specialists in the field and national curriculum on such topics.
- Cultural Awareness Projects and Events
- Talent Shows
- Science Fairs
- Spelling Bees
- Holiday Events
- Visual and Performing Arts