The Boys & Girls Clubs of San Leandro provides safe, high quality after school programs where Club members have the opportunity to learn, grow, give back to the community, discover their passions, set goals, meet new friends and have FUN! Our clubs build character through everyday leadership and guidance and our programs help young people succeed in school, stay healthy, learn important life skills, pursue interests in the arts, sciences and sports. Most importantly, The Boys & Girls Clubs of San Leandro shows young people that someone cares and wants them to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens.
We offer a wide variety of programs including tutoring, homework help, enrichment activities, sports and recreation, specialized programs and a teen program.
We provide individualized tutoring for youth that have been identified for additional help by teachers, principals, our staff, and results from STAR testing. These students receive specific intervention based on their needs in language arts and math. All activities are linked to the California State Standards and are skills that will potentially help our members in the classroom and with their daily homework.
All of our sites provide an opportunity for our members to begin their homework. Homework, in most cases, is done at the end of the day. We work with each school to provide clear and concise homework assistance.
- Cooking, Gardening and Nutrition: We strive to provide all of our youth at each site cooking and gardening experiences. Our staff is working with school personnel to strengthen or start gardens at every elementary school. Students participate in composting, planting and watering in these four season gardens.
- Science: Our staff uses state approved curriculum including "Science Explorer", which includes an experiment in a box, as well as learning about colors, space, and environment to name a few.
- Drama: Each site strives to perform at least one play a year. Boys and girls will be involved with performing, set design and costume design.
- Computer training: Students work with a variety of web sites and programs including: Study Island, National Geographic, Star Fall, PBS Kids, Dictionary.com, Exploratorium.edu, Fun Brain, and Math.com.
- Arts and crafts: Boys and girls use a variety of media including watercolors and clay. Projects have included gingerbread houses, origami birds and bubbling volcanoes.
- Leadership and Character Building: We strive to empower our members to become global citizens who support and influence their club and community, sustain meaningful relationships with others, develop a positive self-image and good character and respect their own and others' cultural identities.
Our sports and recreation program develops fitness, positive use of leisure time, skills for stress management, teamwork, appreciation for the environment and social skills. Sports offered vary from site to site but usually include: flag football, soccer, basketball, dodge ball, baseball and volleyball. The club also hosts several sports tournaments per year.
- Anti-drug and gang education: We provide awareness and education for elementary and middle school students. Information shared with the youth is provided by trained specialists in the field and national curriculum on such topics.
- Service learning: Many of our sites are doing fundraising for a variety of causes such as: local hunger, homelessness, disaster relief efforts, and animals.
- Heritage Days: Many of our sites hold events to celebrate groups and other special occasions through art, drama and music including Black History, Latino Heritage, Influential Women, etc…